Please sign-in to...
  • Save Orders
  • View Saved Orders
  • View Order History
  • Save Wish Lists
  • Move Wish List to Cart
  • and more!

Do not show this message again.


You have not viewed any products recently.

George Washington Carver: Ingenious Inventor
George Washington Carver: Ingenious Inventor
Alternative Views
  • There are no alternate images available for this product.
Reviewed Titles
Graphic Library

George Washington Carver: Ingenious Inventor

by Nathan Olson
Illustrated by Keith Tucker

Tells the story of plant scientist and inventor George Washington Carver. Written in graphic-novel format.

PublisherCapstone Press
BrandGraphic Library
Age Level8-14 Years
Reading LevelGrades 3-4
GenreGraphic Nonfiction
SubjectGraphic Novels
Trim Size7 x 9
Page Count32




"Recommended by Booklist in their "Series Roundup" section." - Booklist

June 15, 2006

Through the Looking Glass Children's Book Review

"George Washington Carver was born into slavery and when he was just a baby, during the third year of the Civil War, his mother was kidnapped by bushwhackers. After that George and his brother James were raised by Moses and Susan Carver who were kind to the boys and did their best for them. They supported George’s decision to go get an education and when he was twelve he left home. George was lucky enough to meet other people who wanted to see this bright boy get on in life and with their help, he eventually got his high school diploma. He applied and got into college in Kansas, but when he arrived he was told that he could not attend because he was black. Later, in Iowa, George met another couple who saw how clever George was. With their encouragement he went to college and though he could not mingle with the white students freely, he at least was able to get an education. He clearly had an aptitude for horticultural studies and when Brooker T. Washington came to his college to speak, George Washington Carver heard him. Later he moved to Alabama to work in Booker T. Washington’s Tuskegee Institute. It was here that George did his famous research on peanuts and where he showed the world that a black man could be a first rate scientist. This book, with its graphic novel format, provides readers with a perfect introduction to the life and work of George Washington Carver. Well written and carefully presented, this is one of the excellent titles in the “Graphic Library” series." - Through the Looking Glass Children's Book Review

January 1, 2008

Science Books and Films

"Peanuts make up two-thirds of all snack nuts in the United States. Peanut butter is the most popular use of peanuts, and nearly 90 percent of all U.S. households eat it. (The other 10 percent are probably deathly allergic to nuts.) George Washington Carver (1864-1943) is the “ingenious inventor” to whom we owe those wonderful uses. But there’s more that this slave-born, plant-knowledgeable man did for his country. In this book, his life story, winning personality, and inquisitive nature come to the reader through engaging pictures—color cartoons—and straightforward language. I recommend the book for youngsters in grades 3 or 4; older children should enjoy it, too. The illustrator and author worked well together to create a satisfying book on this amazing African-American scientist." - Science Books and Films

October 1, 2006


American Farm Bureau, Recommended Book List

"This book from the Graphic Library collection is produced in a comic book format that will appeal to the most challenged reader. The book tells the story of George Washington Carver beginning with his life as a slave, his mother’s kidnapping and his adoption by the Carvers. It also tells the story of how George left their home at the age of 12 to go to school and the struggles he endured to become educated and eventually become an educator and inventor. The book ends with a timeline of advances made by George Washington Carver, a glossary, a recommended reading list, recommended Internet sites, and a bibliography." - American Farm Bureau, Recommended Book List

February 26, 2009